Google Tag Manager icon Winter can be Wonderful Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Winter can be Wonderful


Winter has been going full-blast ever since we've returned from Aruba.   There aren't that many days below zero each winter in south-central Wisconsin, but we've had several of them in the past ten days.  There's also been snow, ice and wind.

None of those weather conditions bother Callie-dog.  She managed to get an upper respiratory infection at the kennel.  I think she just wasn't getting enough outdoor time.


This morning, hiking conditions were perfect.  We took advantage of the soft snow and temperatures into the 30's and drove over to Devil's Lake State Park.   I've hiked the Roznos Meadows Trail during the summer, but this is the first time that I've ever hiked it in the winter.

The first half of the trail is flat, yet provides a gorgeous view of the bluffs that I'm usually hiking up from the lake.  It's always fun to get a different perspective on things.


Julia was off to the races.


This is an in-and-out trail, connecting up with the Uplands Trail at the top of that ridge in the back.  The trail was lightly traveled.  Just a few people and no dogs.

Callie is completely recovered from her illness and ready for whatever comes her way.  We're already planning a spring trip west.


Comments

greg said…
That must have been ruff (get it?) on Callie. No fun being sick.

Schools, Walmarts, doctor's offices, kennels; all great places for catching something. . .

My Mom's active living community of about 1300 residents was on lock-down, no community activities, no game-nights, no outside visitors, (She could go out as long as she stayed away from other residents. My sister could come over and clean Mom's car of snow and ice but wasn't allowed in any of the buildings) all common spaces shut down, and dinners delivered to their doors, all in order to keep everyone isolated from each other from before Thanksgiving through to just a couple weeks ago as they fought off an epidemic of some weirdly intense, non-flu, intestinal bug. They even asked the CDC to come over and used specialized cleaning crews to go over everything.

As for Wonderful Winter. . . Yeah. . . I'm all set to plant the spring garden next week and that's fine by me!
MFH said…
Do either of you x-country ski? Those trails look *perfect* for it.
Brewed Journey said…
This seems to be a winter to remember for viruses. I’m glad that I’m done with airplanes and other enclosed incubators for awhile.
Brewed Journey said…
We both did for many years. My boots wore out, and I switched to snowshoes. Julia upgraded her skis/boots and now does some competitive x-country skiing.

Devil’s Lake State Park is best for hiking and snowshoeing. Nearby Mirror Lake State Park is designated for cross country, and they groom the trails for both classical and skating x- country skiing. That is where Julia and Allie mostly ski. Allie was on her high school cross country ski team.

I don’t regret switching to snowshoes. I prefer to move more slowly and like the ungroomed trails and being off-trail. On this day, my Sorel boots worked perfectly on the mostly hard-packed trail with rock steps that go up the bluffs. For icy trails, like we have today, yaktrax (tire chains for boots) work great.
MFH said…
Interesting. I too enjoyed snowshoes when I hitch-hiked up to visit Canadian friends on the Bruce Peninsula (sticks up into Lake Huron) in January. Once into the woods, a Chicadee flew down and sat on my outstretched hand.

Which Sorel boots are you using? My Whites are showing signs of age and I'm not sure I can afford another pair; looking for alternatives.

Interesting to hear the Yaktrax work. I'd seen them mentioned online, but am too much of a cold-wuss to actually be anywhere where I'd need them.
Brewed Journey said…
I have the Manitou Sorels. I’m not sure they would be much use, except for winter weather. My father-in-law gifted them to me many years ago when we ice fished together. Here is a pic:

https://poshmark.com/listing/Vintage-Sorel-Manitou-winter-boots-5baf02a803087cb4a81f6a98


Popular Posts