Google Tag Manager icon Deer Season Approaches Skip to main content

Featured

Starkweather Beer Company

 When I moved back to Madison to attend law school in 1987, we moved to a crappy little apartment near the banks of Starkweather Creek on the unfashionable east side.  Today, the east side is booming, and one of the newer brewpubs is called Starkweather Beer Company. It was Saint Pat's Day.  While Guinness is a decent light-bodied stout, I opted for Starkweather's dry Irish Stout, named "Jamestown Jackdaw." Coming in at 5.9 ABV, it had a malty chewable backbone.  It's a new favorite stout for me.  Julia had Late Winter Haze, a New England IPA that didn't have as much fruitiness as she likes in a hazy.  It was still well-executed. We walked down the street to the Harmony Bar, where Julia enjoyed a complete corn beef and cabbage dinner.  I opted for the Reuben sandwich.  Mine was washed down with an Edmund Fitzgerald porter from Great Lakes Brewing.  Julia enjoyed her Chaos Pattern IPA from 3 Sheeps Brewing.  Both are great beers. Justin update:   After a long h

Deer Season Approaches


In the early morning, it's time to reload the wood stove.  Callie stayed far away from the stove when she first joined the family.  Now, I find myself dragging her hot body back when the stove starts pumping heat out into the room.

As soon as Julia leaves for work, Callie begs to go outside to play ball, no matter what the weather is.  After an hour or so of being inside again, she starts nagging me to go on our long walk/hike for the day.  Callie keeps me from being a lazy slug when the weather isn't the best.

Today, we had all kinds of weather during our hike at Gibraltar Rock.  We started off with light flurries, followed by rain, and then finished with sleet.  It was a typical gray November day.




It's been awhile since I posted on the blog.  I've been busy moving posts from the wordpress blogging site to the blogger platform.  I anticipated that it would take longer, but I've now finished that process and am over here on blogger for the long haul.  If you are interested in receiving notifications to new blog posts, you are encouraged to sign up at the top of the page.

We had company over the weekend.  Dave and Ruth drove over from Milwaukee.  We spent some time at a new-to-us brewpub in Madison:  the Rockhound Brewing Company on South Park Street.  Good beer, good company  It doesn't get better than that. Later, we went to the Night Market near the state capitol.




Earlier in the week, Julia and I went for a snowy hike at Lake Kegonsa State Park, followed by malted beverages and nachos at the Waypoint Public House.




I also had a nice hike on the Fern Glen Segment of the Ice Age Trail.  It's about an hour in/out hike up and down hilly woods.  We added some length with a road walk at the south end.  There's also a side trail to Susie's Rock.  Lodi is known for Susie the Duck.  Susie is a fictitious duck on Main Street where ducks on the dole congregate for seed corn distributed by humans from a vending machine. 

On the other hand, Susie's Rock is a quiet place in the woods where area resident Susan Groves like to sit back in the late 1800's.  I prefer the rock.


 


Opening Day for gun deer season starts this Saturday morning.  I'll be off the trails for ten days after that, limiting my exercise to city paths.  I also have a new project brewing that I will write about.  Thanks for reading.

Comments

Bill said…
Dogs and people: the older we get the closer we get to the fire in the winter. Or some of us just head south. Our Pug loved both.
John said…
I'd like to go south for the winter some year with the Brew Hut. Right now, fall and spring work on best for trips, based upon family commitments.

Popular Posts