Google Tag Manager icon Amana, Iowa Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Amana, Iowa


I stayed at the Amana RV Park and Event Center for two nights for two reasons.  First, it was a convenient base from which to visit my parents in Cedar Rapids.  Second, It was cheap ($18/night) with my Passport America discount card.  However, I probably wouldn’t stay there again.

The campground is a huge, flat Iowa field with many campsites laid out on a grid of gravel roads.  There were some amenities.  I did laundry.  I took advantage of the flush toilets. I took a couple of showers.  There were three showers in the men’s bathroom:  one was out of order, and another only had cold water.  I gave up being politically correct and took a quick, hot shower in the accessible stall on my last day.

I had a nice visit with my parents  We visited the newish Cedar Rapids City Market and also the Czech Museum.  I didn’t know it before, but I’m apparently part Czech on my Dad’s side.

One night, I dined on sauerbrauten at one of Amana’s German restaurants.  It was very flavorful, although it seemed a little mushy to me–just on the wrong side of tender.  Maybe that’s just because of the lengthy marination time.  I had a dunkel beer, which is a dark lager.  It confirmed for me that I like hoppy ales better than mild lagers.


After about a six-week trip, I’m almost home and will camp at Pike’s Peak State Park on the Iowa side of the Mississippi River for my last stop.  Callie and I are both ready to do some hiking, and the state park should have some good trails.


Comments

Popular Posts