Google Tag Manager icon Iowa Skip to main content

Featured

Summertime on the Mississippi River

We are back at one of our favorite places to Scamp in Wisconsin. Yesterday afternoon, we hitched up and drove to a camping spot north of LaCrosse.  There was a small band playing at the Trempealeau  Hotel just overlooking the Mississippi River.  Unfortunately for the band, there were busy train tracks between the river and the stage, making things more “interesting.”  They had a good sense of humor about it and played some extra “train songs.” This morning, we hiked the Riverview Trail and up Brady’s Bluff.  This is a beautiful part of Wisconsin.

Iowa


I was born in Iowa, but I never really lived there.  My parents brought me home from the hospital and took me to their small trailer in a small trailer park in a small Iowa town.  Within a short period of time, my Dad got into Stanford to get his PhD in secondary education and we moved to Sunnyvale, California.

My parents both grew up in Iowa and met at the University of Iowa.  After retiring, they eventually moved back to Iowa.  I’ll be visiting with them in a couple of days.

When I was in high school, I spent summers in southwest Iowa, working on my uncle’s farm and getting into mischief with my same-age cousin, Tim.  We remain friends.  He’s a social worker-turned-truck-driver-for-the-money.

Tonight, I’m camped in south-east Iowa, a part of the state that I’ve never visited.  There are lakes, woods, hills–pretty much everything I like about Wisconsin.  Callie and I took a couple of loops hiking around the lake.  Then we drove to town where I had some difficulty finding a beer to buy that had any flavor.  Nothing local, but I did find a Deschutes Juicy IPA at the local Hyvee.

I’m having one of my favorite simple meals, prepared in the cast iron skillet:  a thin ribeye, sautéed mushrooms and spinach.


Here’s my campsite at Wilson Lake County Park ($20/night).


I have no plans to ever move to Iowa, but this is a nice, quiet campsite.


Comments

Popular Posts