Google Tag Manager icon Pikes Peak State Park Skip to main content

Featured

Starkweather Beer Company

 When I moved back to Madison to attend law school in 1987, we moved to a crappy little apartment near the banks of Starkweather Creek on the unfashionable east side.  Today, the east side is booming, and one of the newer brewpubs is called Starkweather Beer Company. It was Saint Pat's Day.  While Guinness is a decent light-bodied stout, I opted for Starkweather's dry Irish Stout, named "Jamestown Jackdaw." Coming in at 5.9 ABV, it had a malty chewable backbone.  It's a new favorite stout for me.  Julia had Late Winter Haze, a New England IPA that didn't have as much fruitiness as she likes in a hazy.  It was still well-executed. We walked down the street to the Harmony Bar, where Julia enjoyed a complete corn beef and cabbage dinner.  I opted for the Reuben sandwich.  Mine was washed down with an Edmund Fitzgerald porter from Great Lakes Brewing.  Julia enjoyed her Chaos Pattern IPA from 3 Sheeps Brewing.  Both are great beers. Justin update:   After a long h

Pikes Peak State Park


No, not that Pike’s Peak.  This state park is in Iowa across the Mississippi River from Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.  It is located on a high point in Iowa, but not exactly a 14,0000 foot mountain.

What drew me here was the cheap price of camping, compared to a similar high spot on the same river in Wisconsin. There is no admission fee to Pikes Peak, and the camping was only $16/night with electric hookups.  But the amazing thing about my visit to Pikes Peak State Park is that it coincided with a fiberglass camper rally, which I had no idea was happening before I arrived at the campground.

That’s me on the left side, still hooked-up to the truck for a quick getaway to home after a social evening.   Everyone was very nice, especially since I dropped in on their activities without registering beforehand.  Even though the official tours didn’t happen until later, several people showed me their “eggs.”
The biggest egg was this 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud, affectionately nicknamed the “egg carton.”


You know it’s still an egg because of the belly band dividing the fiberglass top mold from the fiberglass bottom mold.  “It’s got rooms,” exclaimed the owner.
At the other end of the spectrum were the 13′ footers. The one below is unusual in that  it doesn’t have a belly band.  Made by U-haul (not for many years) the molds run from top to bottom.

Escape Trailers were well-represented, considering they are made and sold in the Vancouver, Canada area.  This was the original trailer that I wanted to buy.  I still like them a lot, but you learn to love (and hate) the trailer you’re with. There were also a bunch of Scamps and a couple of Casitas.




The weather was cold.  I ended up wearing two fleece pullovers and my jacket.  Temps fell into the 30’s, and I let my electric heater run overnight to take the chill off.

Callie and I still had time to check out the trails and views.  We did get a little lost following a ridgeline trail that turned into a steep descent and eventually a game trail.  I think we were supposed to stop at the bluff before heading down. It was slick and steep enough that I had trouble on the way down.  Going back up, I took Callie’s lead and used all four paws (hands and feet).





We were up early the next morning, dumped tanks, and headed home.  I had a great trip, but it will be good to be home for awhile. There’s a bunch of family stuff going on.  Julia’s dad and stepmom are moving into a new, more accessible apartment.  Julia  got a new Subaru and sold her old Subaru to my daughter Allie.  And spring has finally come to Wisconsin.





Comments

Popular Posts