Google Tag Manager icon Active Winter Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Active Winter


We had a very slow start to the winter–hardly any snow or cold through the end of 2018.  January and February have been a different story.  We’ve had more than our share of snow, cold, and freezing rain.  The snowbanks on the long, steep driveway are too high for my atv snowblade to be effective.  No matter, I can’t use the atv anyway because there’s glare ice on the steepest part of the driveway up by the pole shed.  I had trouble getting uphill even in four-wheel drive, and I had trouble maintaining control  going downhill (where 4 wheel drive becomes 4 wheel slide).

People in warmer climates probably wonder how we survive.  In fact, many people thrive.  Recently, we had 50 mph winds to go with the icy roads which weren’t responding to salt application because it was too cold.  Julia and I went snowshoeing across from the Lodi Marsh.



We then celebrated our stroll in the woods with a Wisconsin tradition:  drinking beer.  Sun Prairie, a growing community just outside Madison, recently saw the opening of two new brewpubs.  The first one was called Right Bauer and is definitely the only euchre-themed brewpub that I’ve ever been in.  On Thursdays, the owner’s dad presides over Euchre night, which is open to players of all abilities.  We got on the email list and will definitely be back.  The beer was very good.  I also appreciate it when a brewpub isn’t afraid to have guest taps from its competitors.  To me, that shows confidence.  In this case, the confidence was well-earned.


Next, we walked around the corner to the other place, Full Mile Beer Company. This place was packed with people. We snagged two of the last seats and sat back to enjoy wood-fired pizza and some of their beer.  Unfortunately, my pizza’s sauce was bland and a little too thick for my taste.  My Vienna pilsner placed its emphasis on crispness rather than malt. It was well-executed; I just prefer a maltier Vienna.  Julia’s beer, which was a milkshake IPA, was very good.  We’ll be back to give them another chance and perhaps try some different things.


Today, Callie and I went snowshoeing at Gibraltar Rock.  It was a beautiful winter day.  There were a lot of branches down–probably from the recent high winds.  One large branch in particular blocked the trail and created some acrobatic moments as I went down the steep hillside with Callie and then back up to avoid the tangle.  The views at the top were amazing.


By the time I finished the second long uphill in the loop, I had my coat open, gloves off, and hat off.  It’s only cold when you’re not moving.  By the way, the fox in the header photo was walking along the rock wall in our back yard and following rabbit tracks.



Comments

Popular Posts