Google Tag Manager icon A Night at the Library Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

A Night at the Library


First, some background.  I’m a librarian’s son.  In fact, my mother was my high school’s librarian for many years.  Our family also spent lots of time at libraries.  In fact, my father, who is well into his 80’s, is so addicted to going to the Cedar Rapids library that he will venture out in all kinds of weather, walk to the bus stop, and board the city bus to make the trip across town to the library.

Personally, I’m a heavy user of our small local library.  It’s unusual for me not to have a book or two checked out.  While my father loves to buy and own books, I don’t have much use for books that I’ve already read.  I see no reason to buy a book when my tax dollars already support a library where I can borrow it for free.  If I really want to read it again, I’ll just borrow it again.

So when I heard that our local library was in financial trouble and was holding a community forum to discuss its future, I was immediately interested  A well-educated public is the key to a well-functioning democracy.  The idea that our local library was broke and may need to cut services got my attention.  In the back of my mind, warning lights and sirens were going off:  “It’s a meeting.  You don’t like meetings  You don’t do well at meetings.”

At different times of my life, people have approached me to be part of public boards or church committees,  For several years, I was the education reporter for the local newspaper and covered the local school board meetings. I have a fair amount of experience in attending meetings.  I suffered through church deacon meetings for a couple of years before crying uncle.

While I had high hopes for last night’s library meeting, I was ready to raise a white flag about half-way through.  There were a couple of real issues.  The library board got itself into trouble by supporting and promoting the idea that having two full-time co-directors with benefits was sustainable.  It was easy to overlook the growing budget deficits because both directors were really nice people who were great at their jobs.  I know them both, and it’s true. After burning through most of the library’s reserves, the board decided to end the co-director positions and post a single job opening for director.  Both great people aren’t there anymore, and a new director has been hired.  That change will theoretically put the library on sounder financial ground. But that issue wasn’t up for debate; an informational statement was made.

The second big issue, and the real elephant in the room, is how the library’s revenue is obtained. Over 200k is provided through county and municipal tax dollars.  The local township has contributed a flat 6k for a number of years.  The county (outside the township) and the city account for almost 30k in circulation items.  The township accounts for 21k in circulation items.  You don’t have to be a math wizard to determine that these  numbers aren’t fair.  As a town resident, I want my township to do a better job supporting the library.  But that issue wasn’t up for debate; an informational statement was made, and we were advised that very smart people were working on the library board to address that issue.  In fact, quite a few people at the forum wanted to talk about that issue, but discussion was abruptly cut off.

The remaining 60 minutes of the 90 minute forum was spent in small groups where we were asked what we liked about the library and what we would like the library to improve upon.  This is where I was reminded that we live in a very divided nation.  There were about as many visions for the library as there were people in the room.  Lots of people wanted to make sure that the library fit their ideas (serve kids, teens, parents, seniors, etc).   Paraphrasing, some of the conversations went like this:

Patron 1:  We need to make the library more attractive to teens.
Patron 2:  I don’t care about your teens.  I don’t have any children.  I want more programs for seniors.
Patron 3:  We need to make the library more open, more reliant upon technology, less money spent on books.
Patron 4.  We need more books.  I like the feel of a book.  I don’t own a Kindle. Don’t take away any books.

It went on and on like this.  The people speaking up wanted to be heard, but no one wanted to listen to opposing viewpoints.  No one wanted to put themselves in someone else’s shoes.  The moderator stated that the purpose of the meeting was to gather opinions, and that everyone’s perspective was valuable.  Maybe, but to me it was like herding cats.  Once it became clear to me that the survival of the library was not at stake, I was ready to go.  I’m still willing to pay higher taxes to support the library, but I don’t want to see the sausage being made.





Comments

Popular Posts