Google Tag Manager icon Walking the Streets Skip to main content

Featured

Starkweather Beer Company

 When I moved back to Madison to attend law school in 1987, we moved to a crappy little apartment near the banks of Starkweather Creek on the unfashionable east side.  Today, the east side is booming, and one of the newer brewpubs is called Starkweather Beer Company. It was Saint Pat's Day.  While Guinness is a decent light-bodied stout, I opted for Starkweather's dry Irish Stout, named "Jamestown Jackdaw." Coming in at 5.9 ABV, it had a malty chewable backbone.  It's a new favorite stout for me.  Julia had Late Winter Haze, a New England IPA that didn't have as much fruitiness as she likes in a hazy.  It was still well-executed. We walked down the street to the Harmony Bar, where Julia enjoyed a complete corn beef and cabbage dinner.  I opted for the Reuben sandwich.  Mine was washed down with an Edmund Fitzgerald porter from Great Lakes Brewing.  Julia enjoyed her Chaos Pattern IPA from 3 Sheeps Brewing.  Both are great beers. Justin update:   After a long h

Walking the Streets

Yesterday, Julia and I took a long circular route from our rented place.  It took us to some of the non-tourist areas of Mazatlan where people are just living their lives.




Eventually, we made it to the Historical Centro where there are more tourists.  I needed some freshly roasted coffee, and the local Facebook Expats group recommended La Mulata.  I was pleased to see a Diedrich roaster, a smaller model than the one I operated in my shop.




Comments

MFH said…
A little "insider knowledge," can add to one's confidence.

Popular Posts