Google Tag Manager icon Summer has moved to October Skip to main content

Featured

Starkweather Beer Company

 When I moved back to Madison to attend law school in 1987, we moved to a crappy little apartment near the banks of Starkweather Creek on the unfashionable east side.  Today, the east side is booming, and one of the newer brewpubs is called Starkweather Beer Company. It was Saint Pat's Day.  While Guinness is a decent light-bodied stout, I opted for Starkweather's dry Irish Stout, named "Jamestown Jackdaw." Coming in at 5.9 ABV, it had a malty chewable backbone.  It's a new favorite stout for me.  Julia had Late Winter Haze, a New England IPA that didn't have as much fruitiness as she likes in a hazy.  It was still well-executed. We walked down the street to the Harmony Bar, where Julia enjoyed a complete corn beef and cabbage dinner.  I opted for the Reuben sandwich.  Mine was washed down with an Edmund Fitzgerald porter from Great Lakes Brewing.  Julia enjoyed her Chaos Pattern IPA from 3 Sheeps Brewing.  Both are great beers. Justin update:   After a long h

Summer has moved to October

After about a week of lighting up my fireplace insert to keep warm in the house, summer came back with 80 degree temperatures over the weekend.  

Justin is all moved into his apartment.  In fact, he is so moved in that he almost never leaves.  Justin has a very narrow temperature range of comfort.  Above 80, and he's too hot.  Below 65, and he's too cold.  So when he called me up and asked me to take him to the Madison Farmer's Market today, I was glad to oblige.  

Justin lives only a couple of miles from the state capitol where the market takes place.  So he rolled out the front door, and I got some additional steps in after my early morning walk with Callie. Justin's chair is rated for 8 miles without a charge, but the battery is reaching the end of its life so we kept an eye on the battery.  Before we finished, we picked up some buffalo beef jerky for Justin and a big bag of Thai chili peppers for me.  

Justin wanted to watch the Wisconsin Purdue game in his apartment, so we parted ways.  I went over to the patio of Working Draft Beer Company and sipped on "Dad Bod" Stout, which Bill from Nebraska would have loved.  A simple oatmeal stout with chocolate malt (dark roasted barley).  Simple, full-bodied, flavorful and not too much alcohol.


 

Julia has been visiting our daughter Allie in California.  She should be returning home on Tuesday.  I better get the house cleaned up.

Comments

greg said…
When I'm away The Wife is addiment that I give her at least 6 hours notification of when I will return. She claims it's because she doesn't want to be startled when I walk in. I suspect the real reason is that she needs that time to put our tiny home back together.

We have different styles. I like things put away where I know right where to find them. She - well not so much. She can't stand to see a flate surface and must cover it up with stuff. Doesn't matter what kind of stuff just as long as it's covered!

Great to hear that Justin is living his own life!
John said…
Yeah, I probably am on your wife's end of the spectrum. I know where things are, but my flat surfaces do tend to get covered up with things used often when she's not around. The problem is that Julia will "put them away" where I can't find them, so I need to be a step ahead of her.

Having Justin only 30 minutes away and with complete care giving coverage will let us both focus on having a more normal father/adult son relationship, which is a positive change. This week, he wants me to take him to early voting.

Popular Posts