Google Tag Manager icon Bisbee: Hiking Juniper Flats Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Bisbee: Hiking Juniper Flats

Just outside of Bisbee, my hike up to the top of Juniper Flats started at the intersection of Old Divide Road and North Juniper Flats Road.  This isn't a trail.  It's a steep, winding gravel road up to the cell phone antennas on top of the mountain.  It's driveable, but it doesn't see much traffic.  

Looking down on Old Divide Road
 

Juniper Flats Road flattens out on top of the mountain.  And it's here that free camping is available to vans, truck campers, and a few brave drivers with Class C's or travel trailers. The gravel road is very, very steep. This is BLM land.  The views on top are incredible.  Most people camp at the fire rings between where the road flattens out and the first antenna tower.  It can get extremely windy up here.  I talked to a shaken older couple who spent a windy night in their truck camper.  One night was enough, they said.  

There is also some partying that happens up here from time to time by locals.  In researching the area, I found that someone had been murdered  only two months before my hike.


For the truly brave and/or stupid, a deeply rutted dirt road continues on for many miles.  There is evidence of jeep or ATV camps in the first mile beyond that I hiked.  Normally, however, I kept going up to the next steep ascent leading to the second  antenna tower, where there are views all the way to Mexico.  This was a go-to hike for me on half a dozen occasions.  


Comments

MFH said…
Ah, there's nothing like a good knife fight & murder to make a party memorable.
John said…
There are so many things wrong with what happened there that I don't know where to begin.
MFH said…
Can you give us some hints? I've camped up there several times w no problem. Or is it like Darlene's?
John said…
I was only referring to what happened with the knife fight/murder. I loved the spot and would camp there myself without any worries. If you've been up there, you passed right by Darlene's on the way up.
MFH said…
Shucks! I thought maybe you'd run across a horde of cannibals or ancient hippies chanting Hare Krishna.

Popular Posts