Google Tag Manager icon Upper Peninsula: Party Hearty Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Upper Peninsula: Party Hearty

 From August 2021

According to Merriam Webster dictionary, "party hardy" is the original idiom used to describe someone capable of partying for a long time and having fun."  Despite the name of this blog, I do not fit into that category. I've been known to drink one or two really good beers over a long period of time and then take a nap.

Then there's the folks who bring their own Tiki Bar along to set up in the campsite.  Or the guy who thinks that drinking a six pack of cheap beer is just getting warmed up.

On Friday afternoon and continuing into Sunday afternoon, I observed a number of people who fit into the party hearty category, including my closest campground neighbors.

Not a Stock Photo--Actual Neighbor

Kleinke Park campground changed overnight.  Here's a fun game:  try to find my Nissan pickup in the photo.  You'll need a different photo to find the Scamp, which can no longer be seen.


If you guessed center right, you are correct. Here's the Scamp.


My truck is still there.  You just can't see it because of all of the other vehicles blocking the view.

What to do?  Too late to find another campground.  Finding an open campsite without a reservation for even a small trailer in the UP on an August weekend is pretty close to impossible.  I decided to gut it out and spend my days elsewhere.  It turns out Menominee, Michigan is a pretty place.

Comments

MFH said…
That's "camping?"!!!!!!!!!
John said…
Not in my world, but I'm frequently reminded by experience that many don't share my views.
MFH said…
I've been thinking of coming up that way late this summer to visit friends on Kegowong Island in Lake Huron. I thought I might swing through the Twin Cities area to take in some of the art and culture I've read about. I had hopes of camping but THAT is beyond my capacity. I'll stay in hotels.
John said…
I loved this campground until Friday, but the summers are short, and weekends are crazy. I should have known better. National forests are where to find better solitude but won't match the opportunities for dispersed vehicle camping that you enjoy.

Popular Posts