Google Tag Manager icon Upper Peninsula: Kleinke Park Campground Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Upper Peninsula: Kleinke Park Campground

 From August 2021

Julia did well in her first longer Scamp trip in May. However, on this trip, I drove north by myself beyond Wisconsin and into the wilds of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  

The goal was not to do a lot of tourist stuff or even hiking.  Most introverts recognize the need to be alone sometimes in order to re-energize and gain perspective.  This was one of those trips.

I've been to the U.P. many times, but have never taken the Scamp.  One of the campgrounds that I've driven by in the car is Kleinke Campground, which is about 30 minutes beyond the Wisconsin border on the Lake Michigan side.  

Last year, Kleinke Park had several first-come, first serve sites.  Going forward in 2022, it will be reservation only.  I'm not a fan of this trend.  I like being able to check out a site in person, get a feel for the neighbors, and vamoose if conditions change unfavorably.  It's pretty much impossible to do with reservation only camping.  

For $21, you get electric, dump station, dollar hot showers, fire ring, picnic table, and garbage service.  There is a lot of beach to walk.  If you get bored of this beach, Baily Beach (without camping) is a short distance away.

I went early in the week, thinking that would be my best chance for snagging a spot.  I did get the nicest campsite of the three available.


A careful observer will note that the electric hookup boxes on either side of me are fairly close.  The good thing is that these were both rented seasonally, and I guessed correctly that I would have no neighbors until at least Thursday.  In fact, the entire campground was quiet until Friday.  

The draw here is Lake Michigan.  While it was hot in south central Wisconsin, temperatures were cooler and more comfortable up north and by the lake.

I got up early, took Callie for walks up and down the beach, cooked nice meals for myself, and spent the evenings reading. It was a very relaxing routine--until the weekend.


 


Comments

Popular Posts