Google Tag Manager icon Solo Traveler becoming Two Travelers Skip to main content

Featured

May Update

After battling a failed respiratory system for four months in the hospital, my 23-year-old son, Justin, died last night.  Last week, he was driving the hospital bean-counters and back-office people crazy by having way too much fun in the hospital.  He was playing video games, watching sports and crime shows on tv, and ordering Uber Eats.  Then Saturday afternoon, he went code blue with rapid changes in oxygen level, heart rate and blood pressure.   With modern medicine, drugs and technology, hospital staff stabilized his numbers, but Justin became quite uncomfortable and agitated.  His last words were, "Will it ever end?"   Allie flew home on Sunday night, and her presence in the hospital room on Monday brought a final, brief smile to Justin's lips.  He passed later that night.   I'm proud of my son for his lifetime willingness to fight for a life that was in many ways fuller than most able-bodied people.  In return, he made our lives richer and fuller.   After a time

Solo Traveler becoming Two Travelers



You would think I would be bored of Valley of Fire State Park after nine days here, but I am not. Every day exposes new things to look, paths to wander, and new people to meet. Every day is different, although the sunshine, blue skies, and temps in the 70’s and 80’s have been consistently wonderful.


 

Julia arrives Sunday at the Las Vegas airport. I suppose the cleaning and organizing needs to commence now. The good thing about traveling in a small travel trailer like the Brew Hut is that it doesn’t take very long to work on a small space. I do still need to restock groceries and do laundry in anticipation of my wife’s arrival.

I met a retired pediatrician (age 71) and his wife who have been full-timing for ten years. They are spending two weeks at Valley of Fire and then driving down into Baja Mexico to spend the winter there. He’s gone through several trailers and trucks to find “the one.” Their trailer is a Lance with a slide-out, 400 watts of solar power, two golf cart batteries, and a Ford F-150 to pull it all. They went through several smaller versions of travel trailer in first buying a Tab teardrop, then buying a 15’ Escape fiberglass trailer from Canada, before deciding that they needed more room for full-timing and went with the Lance.

I’d like to think that the Brew Hut will be big enough Julia, Elvis and I for part-time travel. We will start finding out during the next couple of weeks.
Today, Elvis and I hiked Mouse’s Spring and the Fire Wave. It’s a bit warmer today, so Elvis got hot and tired and is sleeping it off in the Brew Hut as I write this blog post. Below are some photos of our hike, including a couple of Elvis in response to a request by my daughter.




I’ve hiked all of the trails that I want to at Valley of Fire but looking forward to sharing the fun with someone else besides Elvis.  No offense Elvis.

Comments

Popular Posts