Google Tag Manager icon Brazos Bend State Park Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Brazos Bend State Park


We had a great time at Port Aransas.  On the day of our departure, we got up early for one more sunrise walk on the beach.


Then we were off on another adventure.  I hitched up the Brew Hut to the Nissan Frontier just like I always do.  Then I plugged in the trailer power connection, which governs the trailer’s brakes and lights.  No power.  I jiggled the connection.  Nothing.  That’s when I noticed that the wires were loose in the plug.  Actually, more than loose. Not connected at all.  Crap.  What now?  It was Sunday morning, and nothing was open.  We called an RV mobile repair service, but no one answered, and no one called back.

Finally, I went to the rv park office to see if they might have a replacement plug.  They didn’t, but a young man heard me talking about my problem and offered to rewire the plug for me.  I told him that I would I would pay him for his time.  The only problem is that he was busy with a whole lot of other things going on with his phone.  After 30 minutes, he followed me down to our site and did rewire the plug.  I watched him closely and gave him a second pair of hands when needed.  When he got to the end, he swore and told me that he messed up by not threading the wires through the plug before rewiring the connections. His phone was going off every 30 seconds, and he said that he would need to take care of something, but he would be back in no more than ten minutes to finish the job.  An hour went by.

In the end, he never came back, and we needed to vacate the site in thirty minutes because it was departure day, and the site was reserved.  I was very grateful that he showed me basically how to do the job and showed me the mistake that he had made, so I was able to get things put together myself–probably not perfect but everything worked the way it needed to.  We looked around for our helper on the way out, but he had simply vanished.  Julia called him my distracted angel.

So after the late start, we drove to Bravos Bend State Park for our last camping night together before Julia flies home, arriving during the late afternoon.  This park is a gem:  lots of hiking trails, well-spaced campsites, and abundant wildlife.  Camping in a 30 amp site was $25/night, and the separate daily entrance fee was $10. We had just enough time to go for a hike, eat dinner, and have a campfire.


We didn’t see any alligators on the first day, but Callie was on the lookout.


On the next morning, we hiked the Elm Lake loop and the 40 Acre Lake loop.  We saw at least ten alligators.  Some were far away, and some were very close up.  A big adult swung close by us and snorted loudly, sending shivers down our spines.  Generally, the trails were wide, which was a good thing.


At 40 Acre Lake, we climbed the observation tower and saw a huge adult streaming across the lake.  Then an even bigger adult. swam from the opposite side directly at the first one.  The two gators were well over ten feet long.  Just before they encountered one another, the first one stopped and turned around, while the second gave chase. There was no fight, but the second one was definitely staking out territory.  The photo below was taken from the top of the tower and shows the first alligator (center).  The second photo shows the two alligators nearly meeting.


Julia flies home Tuesday, and I start north on Wednesday without any specific itinerary.  I’ll update as I can.

Comments

Popular Posts