Google Tag Manager icon Keep on, Keepin’ On Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Keep on, Keepin’ On


The beginning of the year hasn’t exactly started with a bang, but we are taking a couple of steps forward with every step back.

For a quick family update, my father-in-law Gene is out of ICU and in a normal hospital room.  For the most part, he has reached the point where his vitals are all in a normal range.  Gene is working on building up strength, eating enough calories to get the feeding tube removed, and moving into a rehab facility as soon as that happens.

As for my son Justin, he lost all of his caregivers from the first semester and has signed up for an agency to manage his caregivers second semester.  It will always be a battle to have enough caregivers for him.  This agency seems confident about meeting his needs.  Time will tell.  As happens to a lot of first-year college students, Justin fell off the tracks a little bit with regard to schoolwork and doing the things his doctors have told him to do to keep himself alive longer (Example:  Using his bipap machine at night).  Justin seems confident that the second semester will be better.  We all hope for that.  Actions always speak louder than words.

My daughter Allie has been Justin’s caregiver during semester break, earning some extra money.  They don’t always get along, but she shows up for work and gets the job done.  Allie is saving up to buy Julia’s car in the spring, so that she will have a vehicle for her summer internship in Milwaukee.

Amidst the chaos, I’ve made time to hike almost every day with my dog Callie.  She pretty much demands it, not relaxing until she’s had at least several miles of hiking and another half-hour of running up and down our hill fetching a ball.  After that, she’s quite sweet and calm.  And I’m ready for a nap.

Fern Glenn Segment (Ice Age Trail):
A short distance away from the popular Gibraltar Rock segment, Fern Glenn may be the least-traveled of the segments near Lodi.

I know that I often overlook it and haven’t hiked Fern Glen in several years.  Heavily wooded with steep ups and downs, I don’t enjoy hiking this segment in the summer.  It can be hot, buggy and without many views.  In the spring and fall, the trail is often muddy and not much fun either.  In the winter, however, the trail shines.




A fresh snow had fallen the day before, and no one’s footsteps were visible.  I went back a couple of days later with daughter Allie and dog Callie.  There were a few footsteps besides my own, but we didn’t encounter a single person on the trail.  Sometimes, not seeing other people is exactly what I need.  I wasn’t exactly alone.  A couple of dozen Canada geese, late for their wintering spot, honked loudly overhead.  Squirrels scolded us for invading their domain.  Two whitetail deer crossed my path and quickly moved beyond.

Because the fresh snow lay on top of slippery ice. I wore my new Yaktrax Pros.  I lost my previous Yaktrax on a muddy trail in North Carolina.  These devices are relatively cheap and effective-at least on Wisconsin terrain. They aren’t meant for use in mud, rock or concrete and should be temporarily removed when crossing those surfaces.  It just takes a minute to slip them off, and it was my own fault for losing the first pair.


I’ll conclude with another excerpt from my Appalachian Trail thru-hike.

Comments

Popular Posts