Google Tag Manager icon Roadrunner Dispersed Camping Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Roadrunner Dispersed Camping


After dropping Julia off at the Las Vegas airport, I hitched up and started driving south on Hwy 95 with Yuma as a potential destination.  I clipped the state of California long enough to buy some gas at $4.55/gallon and some figs for $8/package.  I preferred the figs. They were tasty but not overly sweet.  The figs were purchased from a roadside stand that also sold unfiltered honey.  The woman asked me to try a couple of samples.  The clover honey was similar to what I’ve had before, but the Desert Wildflower honey was very different–almost spicy and with a pleasant finish. A small container was $20, so I satisfied myself with just the figs.

Hwy 95 was very crooked and dippy.  By the time I reached Parker, I had reconsidered Yuma as my destination.  By the time I reached Quartzsite, I was ready to be done driving.  Just south of Quartzsite, I passed several Long Term Visitor areas that I recognized.  I kept driving until I passed what looked like another LTVA, but was nearly deserted.  The sign said Roadrunner–14 day camping limit.  I pulled in and  talked to the campground host (who waved off registration since I was only staying one night).  I found a quiet spot that would allow for an early morning quick getaway and parked without unhitching.




The time was about 2 pm., and the afternoon quickly heated up to the mid-80’s inside the Scamp.  There were no services or hookups here, but the price was right (free).   By early evening, the temperatures cooled off to the very pleasant lower 70’s. Elvis and I took a long walk out into the desert.  Roadrunner was practically empty; the camp host assured me that it would be packed by January. Clouds moved in to prevent a viewing of the sunset, but the colors in the clouds were amazing.

The night was cool, comfortable and quiet.  Elvis woke up at 5:45 a.m., shook and placed his paws impatiently on my bed, demanding to be fed.

Today, I needed to start making better time and mileage in order to get to my cousin’s place in Missouri  by Saturday.  I drove the interstate through Phoenix and then to Tucson. I’m camped tonight at the Prima County Fairgrounds RV Park, which has blazing WiFi, showers and hookups for $30/night.
Tomorrow, I’ll head for New Mexico.

Comments

Popular Posts