Google Tag Manager icon Eastward Bound to Texas Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Eastward Bound to Texas


I woke early on Tuesday morning and drove from Tucson to Las Cruces, New Mexico.
Las Cruces is on the list of places that Julia and I want to check out to see if we want to live there someday.  It ticks a lot of boxes:  university town, close to the mountains, diverse population and culture, no snow in the city but winter sports available only a few hours away in the mountains.

I wasn’t going to have time to do much more than drive around, walk around and stay at an RV park in town, so I bailed on that plan.  I drove through town via Hwy 70 and then kept on going until I reached a road sign for Aguirre Springs, a BLM campground.

The road in was steep and windy, but the payoff was amazing. Why would I want to stay at an RV park when I could stay here for $7/night.  The place was practically deserted without any generators and no lights to mar the night sky.


I listened to the early election results on NPR and then went to bed early.  This morning, I drove to Lubbock, Texas, passing steep snow-capped mountains in New Mexico, and then cotton fields/oil wells in Texas.  I’m using my Passport America at an RV park in Lubbock for half the regular rate.  I’m also taking the time to start winterizing the Brew Hut with hard freezes and snow expected where I am headed for the weekend.


Comments

Popular Posts