Google Tag Manager icon Tennessee: Roan Highlands, Part Two Skip to main content

Featured

Starkweather Beer Company

 When I moved back to Madison to attend law school in 1987, we moved to a crappy little apartment near the banks of Starkweather Creek on the unfashionable east side.  Today, the east side is booming, and one of the newer brewpubs is called Starkweather Beer Company. It was Saint Pat's Day.  While Guinness is a decent light-bodied stout, I opted for Starkweather's dry Irish Stout, named "Jamestown Jackdaw." Coming in at 5.9 ABV, it had a malty chewable backbone.  It's a new favorite stout for me.  Julia had Late Winter Haze, a New England IPA that didn't have as much fruitiness as she likes in a hazy.  It was still well-executed. We walked down the street to the Harmony Bar, where Julia enjoyed a complete corn beef and cabbage dinner.  I opted for the Reuben sandwich.  Mine was washed down with an Edmund Fitzgerald porter from Great Lakes Brewing.  Julia enjoyed her Chaos Pattern IPA from 3 Sheeps Brewing.  Both are great beers. Justin update:   After a long h

Tennessee: Roan Highlands, Part Two


March 27th:
I woke to a light drizzle and made a quick breakfast of fruit, hot oatmeal, and cocoa.  No one was up and moving at the campground; everyone was tucked into their heated RV’s.  But I was on the road by 8 a.m.  The drive to Carver’s Gap was only about 15 minutes from the campground.



As you can see from the photo above, there were plenty of parking spots available.  In fact, I didn’t see anyone actually hiking for about the first three hours.  Hiking conditions were not ideal.  The climb out of the gap was about 700 vertical feet of icy switchbacks.  The reward was a view of the cloud that covered the top of the mountain.





The Roan Highlands are known for grassy mountain tops (balds) and grassy ridges. In most of the southern Appalachians, mountain tops tend to be heavily wooded and without views. In the northern Appalachians, tree line can be as low as 4000 feet with views for forever from rocky, bare mountaintops.  Although it appears from my photos that there is just a heavy stationary cloud, the winds were actually blowing about 40 mph, so the clouds were in rapid motion.  Down at Carver’s Gap, the thermometer indicated about 32 degrees Fahrenheit.  Up on top, it felt like the low 20’s with colder wind chill.  I was dressed with long underwear (top and bottom), two sets of socks, t-shirt, heavy fleece sweater, rain jacket, and knit cap.  There was a light drizzle at the gap and a stinging sleet on top.

I passed Round Bald and Jane Bald before descending back into the woods.  I passed an abandoned Coleman tent that was apparently not quite up to the conditions.





At just over 3 miles, I was excited to see my first trail shelter in over 20 years.  My excitement diminished when I got up close and saw that someone had taken over the entire shelter by putting up their tent in the shelter.  I had planned to sign the trail register, but whoever was in the shelter was still inside the tent with the trail register at 10 a.m.  Some things don’t change. On my thru hike,  I was always first up in the shelter and on the trail. I was typically finished by 2 or 3 pm after a 15-20 mile day.  Many of the  twenty somethings hiked the same distance but didn’t get started until late morning (or later) and didn’t get to the shelter until after dark. 


I continued hiking on.  The trail traveled back and forth from winter to spring and back again, depending on where I was on the mountain.  I also passed a marker for Yellow Mountain Gap where a group of mountain men traveled in 1780 to defeat the British soldiers during the Revolutionary War.   Finally, I reached my second shelter, Overland Shelter, and signed the trail register:  “Quid Pro Quo Returns”  GA>ME ’96. Translation:  my thru-hiker nickname was Quid Pro Quo, and I hiked northbound from Georgia to Maine in 1996.

The Overland Shelter is a converted barn and has sleeping quarters on two floors.  A lone section hiker in his 20’s was present when I arrived. He told me that he had been section hiking the Appalachian Trail for about eight years.





After eating my lunch of trail mix and water, I said goodbye and started on the return trip to Carver’s Gap.  The folks tenting in the first shelter had woken up and were having breakfast (at noon).  I waved hello/goodbye and headed back up into the balds.  The view had improved.


As I crossed the balds and down the mountain (southbound), I did run into several thru-hikers who were northbound.  I could tell they instantly dismissed me as a day hiker who was not one of them.   And they were right.  My time as a thru-hiker has passed.  It still felt wonderful to be “back on the trail.”  My hike finished up at 13 miles for the day.  My feet were sore, and I was ready for a beer.

I drove to the Station, which is a newish hiker taproom/hostel on Hwy 19e just east of Roan Moiuntain, TN .  The bartender, who was nicknamed “Crazy”, gave me a couple of samples of Tennessee IPA’s.  I selected the Scatterbrain IPA by Bearded Iris Brewing of Nashville.  “Crazy” called it one of the top three IPA’s in the country.  I  agree that it was a great IPA and drank two of them.  We shared some hiking stories and I arranged to use their parking services for the next day’s hike.


Comments

Popular Posts