Google Tag Manager icon Tennessee: Roan Highlands, Part One Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Tennessee: Roan Highlands, Part One


March 25th to March 26th:
As soon as we arrived home from Door County, Julia took off for an Easter Egg Hunt that she has organized for many years.  I jumped in the Nissan truck and started driving south on my tenting/hiking trip.  I stayed overnight at a cheap Red Roof motel in Louisville, Kentucky and then continued on the next morning for another six hours before arriving at Roan Mountain State Park during the early afternoon. 

I wasn’t really sure what the campground would be like, so I was pleasantly surprised to find my tent site about six big steps from a beautiful creek on the side of the mountain.  That’s my truck and tent across the creek.


Add a picnic table, fire ring, on-site water spigot, tent pad, heated bathrooms, and hot showers–for $15/night, and sign me up again.  While the rv section of the campground was about half-full, I was the only one tent camping this early in the season.  A somewhat negative surprise  was that no alcoholic beverages were allowed in the campground. For someone used to camping in Wisconsin, that seemed almost anti-patriotic.  Fortunately, I didn’t learn about that prohibition until the day before I left, so I figured that I was “grandfathered,” more or less.  I imbibed in moderation. No harm, no foul.

On the afternoon of my arrival, I set up camp and hiked a couple of trails inside the campground that were on the other side of the creek and went up the mountain.  After stretching my legs for four or five miles, I ate a light dinner and turned in early.  By the time darkness arrived around 8 pm, the temperature dropped off quite a bit.  During the night, I pulled on a fleece sweater and put on my knit hat.  I won’t lie; I still got cold.  My twenty degree sleeping bag was not up to the task on the first night.  I tossed and turned a bit, knowing that I was returning to the Appalachian Trail in the morning and would be going up into the balds.

Comments

Popular Posts