Google Tag Manager icon Tennessee: Roan Highlands, Part Four Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Tennessee: Roan Highlands, Part Four

(This is the final installment of my recent trip to the Roan Highlands–one of the highest points on the Appalachian Trail).

I don’t always get a good night’s sleep in my tent, but I slept hard on my last night’s stay at Roan Mountain State Park, waking at dawn.  After a quick breakfast of hot oatmeal and cocoa, I was driving back to Carver’s Gap for what I expected to be my most challenging hike to the top of the Roan Highlands:  Roan High Knob.  The parking lot was empty again, except for a lone vehicle with windows coated by condensation (evidence that someone was sleeping inside).

My first problem was to find where the trail went off to the south.  I was wandering around by the outhouse and public informational signs, but the trail southbound was actually a few dozen yards back towards the way I had come from the state park.  Temps were slightly above freezing.  The trail started off with a few scattered icy spots, but quickly became more difficult with long stretches of ice made more slippery by melt.  I passed thee thru-hkers going up, a solo woman who had just made it through the  ice and a couple of guys in the middle of the worst part.  It was manageable and clearly more difficult going down fast than going up slow.



There was an overnight shelter towards the top of the ascent, but it was off the main trail, so I didn’t stop to visit.  Instead, I continued hiking to the top until I found a side trail taking me to the former site of the Cloudland Hotel.



 

Cloudland was a luxury hotel built in the 1880’s above 6000 feet.  There is still a road that reaches Roan High Knob, although it is seasonal and was still closed in late March. I’ve hiked hard trails to the top of mountains that people could access by car or rail, such as Mount Washington in New Hampshire, and it’s never quite the same experience.  As the father to a son in a power wheelchair, I understand more than most that access to nature  is difficult for some people.  It’s so important for more people to get out in nature, including mountaintop views.  However, I can’t say that I am sad that a luxury hotel doesn’t sit on top of Roan High Knob anymore. 

After a tough climb, I wasn’t in a mood to share my view with people who drove to the top or who had slept on comfortable beds.  The Cloudland Hotel lasted only 20 years before being dismantled in 1914.

High Knob was windy, cold, and beautiful.  Even though it was Friday, which tends to see more people on popular trails than mid-week, no one else was around.  I sat behind some rocks and lingered, reflecting on the natural beauty and my hiking trip in general.  We tend to get comfortable in our mostly sedentary lives.  This had been the perfect trip to shake me out of my doldrums.

I continued hiking southbound off the Knob for awhile before realizing that the next major peak was going to be quite a distance down and then back up again.  I decided to end my time on the Appalachian Trail and head back to the Knob and to Carver’s Gap.  I picked my way slowly down the icy trail and was back to my truck before noon.  I had reached all of my goals, so I went back to Dairyland in the town of Roan Mountain and had a celebratory bbq pork sandwich.

I hiked a few short trails in Roan Mountain State Park, checked out some exhibits at the Visitor’s Center, and settled back in for my last night at the campsite.  On the next morning, the road back to Wisconsin would be waiting.





Comments

Popular Posts