Google Tag Manager icon Grumpy Days Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Grumpy Days


I haven’t had a bad cold for awhile, so I guess it was my time.  And then it was my son’s time and wife’s time, who are both annoyed at me for “making them sick.”    Yesterday Julia and I were feeling better so we headed off to Blue Mounds State Park to blow the stink off. 




The hiking was not ideal.  The trails were groomed for cross-country skiing, so the shady parts  were often covered with ice.  The sunny parts were a bit muddy.  Still, it was a great day to be outside.  In the middle photo above, Julia was channeling her father’s geology expertise, searching for precious stones and fossils.

After hiking the park’s perimeter trails, we drove over to Stewart Lake Park for the first time.  This is a Dane County park just outside Mount Horeb, Wisconsin.  We scouted out some hiking trails for a future visit and enjoyed the view of the lake.

 
We couldn’t leave the Mount Horeb area without visiting the Grumpy Troll, the local brewpub.  Julia had a Bock beer, half of a turkey and swiss on marble rye, and a cup of cheddar beer cheese soup.  I had a stout, a full Reuben sandwich, and a cup of the soup.  Our beers were good, but we both agreed that the cheddar beer soup was the best we have ever tasted.  It had little chunks of spicy sausage and was delicious.




 I am counting the days (three more weeks) until my trip to the Roan Mountain, Tennessee area.  In the meantime, I hit my goal of 90 consecutive days of 10,0000 steps or more and have increased my goal to at least 12,000 daily steps.

Comments

Popular Posts