Google Tag Manager icon Snowshoeing at Slack’s Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Snowshoeing at Slack’s


We finally have enough snow to make snowshoeing an easy choice over hiking.  Julia and I took turns outdoors today so that someone was home for Justin.  She cross-country skied 12k over at the Lodi Golf Course.  I procrastinated until about 90 minutes before sunset and then drove over to Slack’s Trailhead on the Ice Age Trail.






I often read on other blogs about how terrible and boring winter is in cold climates.  To be honest, however, I would miss winter days like today if I were to move to southern Arizona  or a similar place without wintry blasts to remind us of weather extremes.  The air was so cold and clean, no insects, total silence, and pure solitude.  As I plodded along in my snowshoes, all of my worries and concerns washed away.

It was cold out; temperatures tonight will dip below zero again.  But I wasn’t at all cold as I moved up and down hills, through stands of pine and oak, and passed native prairie grasses.  Seasons keep views dynamic, and I had to stop for a few minutes to gaze across the hills looking southward down the frozen Wisconsin River.

 
I’ve hiked thousands of miles of trails across this country and plan to do a lot more hiking outside my home area.  Yet, I also love the one I’m with.



Comments

Popular Posts