Google Tag Manager icon Can’t Get Enough Skip to main content

Featured

Summertime on the Mississippi River

We are back at one of our favorite places to Scamp in Wisconsin. Yesterday afternoon, we hitched up and drove to a camping spot north of LaCrosse.  There was a small band playing at the Trempealeau  Hotel just overlooking the Mississippi River.  Unfortunately for the band, there were busy train tracks between the river and the stage, making things more “interesting.”  They had a good sense of humor about it and played some extra “train songs.” This morning, we hiked the Riverview Trail and up Brady’s Bluff.  This is a beautiful part of Wisconsin.

Can’t Get Enough

 I’m back on the Mississippi River. This time, I’m camped at a Corps of Engineers campground just north of Muscatine, Iowa. It’s one of my favorite places to hang out and do absolutely nothing. Well, some people would be bored, but I spend my time reading, walking and watching. 

Julia and her sister took their brother Scott to New Orleans as a 60th birthday present. I’ve been to the Big Easy several times. My grandfather used to say this about places that he didn’t plan to return: “I didn’t leave nothin’ there.” I wouldn’t go quite that far about New Orleans, but I’m content spending some time along the same river—upstream a bit at $13/ night with the Old Geezers’ discount.

Callie is a happy camper. 


Mid-week, this place is quiet. I can see the river out the Scamp’s dinette window, and I have a nice buffer of woods behind me. 


I’ll build a fire tonight at dusk. There’s a cold Pseudo  Sue IPA from Toppling Goliath in the fridge when I’m ready.

Comments

Bill said…
Yup, grandpa was right. Some are a "trip of a lifetime." I only need to go once in my lifetime.
A shady campsite and a Toppling Goliath. Doesn't get any better.

Popular Posts