Google Tag Manager icon Thomson Causeway Skip to main content

Featured

Earth Rider Brewery

Every once in awhile, Julia and I come across a brewery that truly rises head and shoulders above the crowd. Earth Rider in Superior, Wisconsin is special in all of the ways that matter to us.  Earth Rider logo Located amongst a dense population of working class bars on the western edge of Superior, Wisconsin, Earth Rider’s taphouse is in an old brick building. The inside is a bit dark. There is no food to speak of here. Earth Rider is where you go if you want to drink really good beer in just about every beer style that we like. I started with their 2018 World Beer Cup bronze medal winner in the oatmeal stout category, North Tower Stout, while Julia enjoyed their hazy IPA. After sampling the Raspbecrush Tart, I then opted for a perfectly-styled Vienna Lager, which was dispensed side-pull, something the server described as a method to bring out a more creamy head.  We adjourned to the outdoor beer garden, which had a mural that I loved. For dinner, we went a couple of blocks down the s

Thomson Causeway

I moved downstream on the Mississippi River to a different COE. 


The river here is very, very wide but so shallow that water plants threaten to overtake it in places. I’ve only stayed here in the early spring when the plant growth was just starting for the season. 

Open channel during spring

Every morning and evening, I am serenaded by sand-hill cranes. Lots of other quieter birds too. The egrets are much more patient fishermen than the humans.

Yesterday, I checked out a new brewery (and only brewery) in Clinton, Iowa, across the river. It was built inside a huge former church and is called Great Revivalist Brewing. 


I had a milk stout on a nitrogen line that was excellent. I’ll return when Julia arrives. I had to check it out first, of course.

Sunset on the Iowa side



Comments

Popular Posts