Google Tag Manager icon Mexican Chicken Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Mexican Chicken

After about a month in Mazatlan, we're getting a little tired of seafood.  I never thought I would say this. But having fish, shrimp, octopus, and oysters every week makes me yearn for....chicken.

Fortunately, a couple of blocks from us, a family raises chickens and has a small stand on the side of the road.  Here, whole chickens are grilled over charcoal.  One chicken is more than enough for both of us for two meals.  


Simmering Beans

The chicken comes with rice, salad, tortillas and fresh salsa--for less than $10. Upon ordering a chicken, the woman in charge chops it up into easy to handle pieces and bags everything up to go.

All of the Chicken here is free range, which produces both delicious meat and beautiful yolks. Eggs are about $2.50/dozen at either the mercado or grocery store.

One thing that I'll never forget about Mazatlan are the sunsets and sunrises.  This week, shortly after sunset, we saw both Jupiter and Venus easily visible in the dusky sky.

 


 

This morning, the full moon was breathtaking just before dawn at 5:40 a.m. on my morning walk with Callie.

Looking north towards the Golden Zone

Twenty minutes later, and I could see the sun coming up on the other end of the beach.

Looking south towards Centro


Comments

MFH said…
Beautiful!

And good to hear about the chicken. Michelle isn't crazy about seafood but will eat chicken. If I'm still around next winter I'm gonna show her your blog and see if I can convince her to take a couple of weeks off.

Beautiful sunrise!
John said…
We found an even better place for grilled chicken tonight. It was literally hot off the grill--I had to wait a few minutes for the grill guy to finish it up. While I waited, there was a cat watching from underneath a nearby parked car. The grill man noticed and accurately used his spatula to fling a small piece of chicken to the cat. Happy cat! Our dinner was so moist and flavorful. The only thing I didn't like were the beans. The style here is so thin that you need to eat the frijoles with a spoon instead of a fork. This batch was especially soupy.
MFH said…
When Michelle was in Tucson we went to La Buendia where we were the only Anglos. The noise level was INTENSE; all it lacked was some barking dogs.

Having cleaned my plate and still hungry, I asked, in English, for some beans and rice. When she brought them, in two small bowls, she set them, very firmly, on the table while saying, in what sounded like a (hilarious) parody, "Beans and rice."

We thereupon were able to identify the pale brown mush that'd been served earlier. Though the color was similar, the lack of flavor (pressure-cooked?) and thin texture had us mystified. We'd never seen beans like these before.

Do you think frijoles refrito are a new thing? In my youthful travels in Mexico all I ever saw were black beans. And they were always whole.
John said…
I don't know. I've never had the soupy beans until this trip. The texture is not at all appealing to me. By the way, I did have a bout with Montezuma for about a week. I'm pretty sure it was the lettuce and "sauce" that was on a seafood burrito. Not sure why the soupy beans reminded me of that. Well, actually, yeah, you know....some similarity there in texture and appearance. I like my beans at least the consistency of custard.

Popular Posts