Google Tag Manager icon Mazatlan's Malecon Skip to main content

Featured

Starkweather Beer Company

 When I moved back to Madison to attend law school in 1987, we moved to a crappy little apartment near the banks of Starkweather Creek on the unfashionable east side.  Today, the east side is booming, and one of the newer brewpubs is called Starkweather Beer Company. It was Saint Pat's Day.  While Guinness is a decent light-bodied stout, I opted for Starkweather's dry Irish Stout, named "Jamestown Jackdaw." Coming in at 5.9 ABV, it had a malty chewable backbone.  It's a new favorite stout for me.  Julia had Late Winter Haze, a New England IPA that didn't have as much fruitiness as she likes in a hazy.  It was still well-executed. We walked down the street to the Harmony Bar, where Julia enjoyed a complete corn beef and cabbage dinner.  I opted for the Reuben sandwich.  Mine was washed down with an Edmund Fitzgerald porter from Great Lakes Brewing.  Julia enjoyed her Chaos Pattern IPA from 3 Sheeps Brewing.  Both are great beers. Justin update:   After a long h

Mazatlan's Malecon

The Malecon in Mazatlan is the longest in Latin America, comprising 13 miles of continuous seafront promenade next to the seawall.  This morning, we were walking south on the Malecon about 6 a.m.  A fisherman was already at work on the beach.  Other small fishing boats were just offshore.

Fishing Under the Moon

We learned today that many sculptures have been installed on the Malecon in advance of the Mardi Gras celebration here.  Julia took some photos of these sculptures early this morning, as darkness receded into dawn.





On the way back, some fishermen were already busy selling their fresh catch, using a small scale to determine weight and price.

 


We found closer pickleball courts today, met some expats, and made plans to join their pickleball club.  We will begin playing on Friday.

Comments

greg said…
Keep mixing with expats and you'll never improve your Spanish! Of course my Grandmother lived in Mexico for years and was never any better at Spanish than crap.
John said…
I know what you mean, but there are a lot fewer expats in Mazatlan than there were in Puerto Vallarta. Just about any place we go, I am using my limited Spanish. I've also been surprised how useful Google Translate is when I'm stuck on a word. I don't think I'll ever be fluent, but my Spanish right now is better than it was after two years of college Spanish in terms of conversation. Thanks to Duolingo and about a dozen trips to Mexico or other Spanish-speaking countries since college.

My pickleball Spanish is fluent. All you need are numbers (for the score) and a few bad words.
greg said…
I once had a Spanish teacher from Columbia. She'd been studying English since childhood and had been living in the US for 10 years and was Still taking English lessonsa couple times a week. No sure Fluent in a non-native language is Ever actually achievable!

Popular Posts