Google Tag Manager icon Last Days in Peru Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Last Days in Peru

In the morning, we walked to the central market.  I think I've mentioned chicha before.  It's a Peruvian mildly fermented beverage made from corn.  Corn comes in many shapes and colors in Peru.  Here is a guy selling it from five-gallon buckets in the street.


The strawberries weren't overly sweet but were bursting with flavor.


The meat market did not resemble our local markets at home.  Meat does not come in neatly wrapped cellophane/styrofoam.  I remember a lady telling me at my coffeeshop that she only buys individual chicken breasts because she doesn't like to be reminded about the chicken.

For lunch we went to the restaurant Chicha, based upon several recommendations.  Unfortunately, the food wasn't that good, and it was probably the most expensive meal that we had in Peru.  Sometimes, it's the hidden gems and surprises that form the best memories.

We spent the afternoon buying gifts for friends and family back home and hanging out in the plaza.  Our time in Peru was coming to an end.  On the next morning, we flew to Lima.


And then it was a flight to Miami, where we were finally able to complete our Global Entry interviews in anticipation of future international travel.  Finally, we were on a flight for Chicago and driving back home.

We will be going to Mexico for a longer trip sometime next year  While I plan to write about it during our travels, I'll most likely post here after we return.

Comments

greg said…
The first time I went to Caracas I was skeptical on finding out that people from the office would buy a whole roasted chicken and a side of veggies for lunch. But then I found out the chickens are 'natural' which makes them pretty small. But they were also sooo much better tasting than any chicken I've ever had in the US or Europe.
John said…
I don't claim to know all of the effects of our modern, modified food designed to increase shelf life, convenience and aesthetics, but it can't be good. The simplicity of Michael Pollan appeals to my food (and drink) philosophy: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

Popular Posts