Google Tag Manager icon Peru: the Backstory Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Peru: the Backstory

When I was in middle school, a young couple moved in next door.  Dick was an instructor at the local technical college.  Dick met his wife, Chi Chi, while serving in Peru for the Peace Corp.  

Normally, I wasn't all that interested in who the neighbors were, but Dick and Chi Chi were looking for a babysitter on date nights, and my mother volunteered me to serve in that role.  It was my first and only baby-sitting job, but it was generally a good gig.  They would put baby Pablo to sleep and go out on a date, while I would listen to tunes on their nice sound system in the living room and hope that Pablo slept the entire time until his parents came home.

I had no idea how to change a diaper or quiet a crying baby.  My   mother was next door to bail me out if necessary, but Pablo was a very good sleeper.  The first diaper I ever changed was many years later for my daughter Allie.

A second baby Mark eventually arrived, and he was not as good a sleeper as Pablo.  My time as a babysitter ended.

Later, I got to know Dick a little better.  We played one-on-one basketball on his garage roof rim, and I also played pick-up games on  Sunday mornings with Dick and his friends at a local playground.  Somewhere along the line, I learned about cuy (guinea pig), one of the national dishes of Peru.  Dick and Chi Chi would have family/friends gatherings when they grilled cuy  in the backyard.  I would peek through the fence in mixed horror/fascination.  

Dick and Chi Chi would go back to Peru every couple of years. Chi Chi was from the city of Arequipa.  If I recall correctly, her father owned a big factory there. 

In college, I had a friend named Daniel who was Jewish but born and raised in Peru.  Daniel aspired to be a novel writer, but I don't think that ever happened. For some reason, it sticks in my memory the day that he told me he had his first dream in English.   I ran into him years later when my kids were young.  He was married and working for a tech company in Madison.

After that, I didn't think much about Peru until Julia began weaving with a loom that a friend owned but didn't use.  There are weaving villages in the mountains of Peru, and Julia put it on her bucket list to visit a weaving village in the Sacred Valley, the Inca Trail and  Machu Picchu.  That trip was supposed to occur during the year after Julia retired, but the pandemic shut down Peru's tourism economy in 2020.

In fact, the Inca Trail itself was shut down during the pandemic, and the jungle started to take the trail back.  Our guide told us that when hiking resumed, two porters died after separately being bitten by very poisonous snakes who normally avoid he trail.   

Inca Trail hiking slowly resumed in 2021 with just a few small groups.  Our guide told us that things were pretty much back to normal in 2022.  The government allows 200 hikers per day to start the four day trek to Machu Picchu.  By contrast, 5000 visitors per day are allowed to travel by train and bus to Machu Picchu. 

On September 24th, we drove to Chicago and took American Airlines to Dallas and then to Lima.  Our flights were perfectly on-time, and our luggage arrived safely.

 
 
We slept for a few hours at the hotel across from the Lima airport and then boarded a smaller domestic plane to Cusco, elevation 11,152 feet.  Here, our Peru adventure begins. 


Comments

greg said…
As a highschooler we had an exchange student from Chile living with us. Unfortunately I had no interest in learning Spanish at the time so missed out on a great oportunity, but we are still in regular contact with Pablo, now in his, and mine, late 60s!

I worked with a Frenchman and remember him coming into work one morning all excited about his first dream in English. I daydream in Spanish sometimes but that's probably as close as I'll get.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip.
John said…
I had two years of high school Spanish and two years of college Spanish, but that was a long time ago! I have a feeling that if I dreamed in Spanish, I would be talking like a four year old, which is about the level of my Spanish-speaking ability now.

Popular Posts