Google Tag Manager icon G5 Brewing Company Skip to main content

Featured

Starkweather Beer Company

 When I moved back to Madison to attend law school in 1987, we moved to a crappy little apartment near the banks of Starkweather Creek on the unfashionable east side.  Today, the east side is booming, and one of the newer brewpubs is called Starkweather Beer Company. It was Saint Pat's Day.  While Guinness is a decent light-bodied stout, I opted for Starkweather's dry Irish Stout, named "Jamestown Jackdaw." Coming in at 5.9 ABV, it had a malty chewable backbone.  It's a new favorite stout for me.  Julia had Late Winter Haze, a New England IPA that didn't have as much fruitiness as she likes in a hazy.  It was still well-executed. We walked down the street to the Harmony Bar, where Julia enjoyed a complete corn beef and cabbage dinner.  I opted for the Reuben sandwich.  Mine was washed down with an Edmund Fitzgerald porter from Great Lakes Brewing.  Julia enjoyed her Chaos Pattern IPA from 3 Sheeps Brewing.  Both are great beers. Justin update:   After a long h

G5 Brewing Company

 


Yesterday, after the cancellation of the minor league baseball game, we headed for G5 Brewing Company, located near Beloit, Wisconsin. Founded in 2019, the modern building is nestled between an Amazon Fulfillment Center and other large industrial complexes.  

It was actually a nice space, indoors and outdoors.  I wasn't expecting much after reading the reviews.  But as sometimes happens, I was pleasantly surprised.  


A warm, sunny day--perfect for sour beer on the patio.  Yes, I said sour beer.  It seems that beer aficionados either love or hate sours.  For me, it depends on what I'm looking for.  The main criticism that I read about sours is they don't taste like what beer is supposed to taste like.  One of the things that I like about fermented substances in general is that there are a wide range of flavors and products.   I ordered a Bramble Brawl, a dark purple beer full of berries.  To me, it tasted like fermented fruit smoothie and weighed in at exactly 5% alcohol.  

A German law from 1516 says that beer must be brewed from only four ingredients:  water, hops, barley, and then yeast.  This beer broke the law but passed my taste test.

It's all good

 

 


Comments

MFH said…
Great photo of Jason and you with reflection behind.
Bill said…
Agree with the naysayers on the sours. Not a fan of "flavored" beer.
John said…
Sours aren't my first choice, which are stouts or porters with moderate alcohol content. Along with the trend towards sours, there has been a trend towards huge porters/stouts with alcohol exceeding 10%. Unless I wanted a hazy IPA, which are a dime a dozen beer these days, my other choice was a marshmallow porter. I like my marshmallows on S'mores, but I'm ok with naturally fruited beer. We like what we like.
Bill said…
Agree on the porters and stouts. High % Imperial Stouts are good once in a while, however one is my limit (probably why most serve them in a 8-10 oz tulip glass), whereas a 5%-6% porter/stout are more enjoyable. A local art gallery has an Imperial Stout (13%) in 16 oz cans. Wowzer, one definately my limit there. Recently I've been fond of the Hefeweizen, so long as it is German/Austrian. Not so much the craft ones that they ad flavoring to. Some craft breweries do nice wheats.

Popular Posts