Google Tag Manager icon Puerto Vallarta: Mirador Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Puerto Vallarta: Mirador

 From December 2021

Most of the "walking around" in Puerto Vallarta is flat, especially on the Malecon which is the paved walkway next to the beach. As a person walks away from the beach and towards the foothills, that quickly changes.  One of my favorite hikes, which I did most mornings, was to the top of Mirador el Cerro de la Cruz or more simply, Mirador or Lookout.

The final modern staircase to the top is easily seen from all around the city.  This is the view from the religious shrine, El Cerro de la Cruz (Cross on the Hill) which is slightly higher and behind the lookout.

 

 


The path to get there is a little more tricky and involves winding up steep, narrow streets and stairs in working class neighborhoods, which included a sprinkle of gringos who found the more economic tourist stays.

 

The last stretch is the real workout.  It's short but very, very steep.  If I ever move to this city, I would hike that ascent every single day that I could to stay in shape.  It's a heart-pounder.  

After a couple of days, Julia got bored/tired of climbing the Mirador.  I loved it.  If the hike didn't take my breath away, the view did.  



I tried to get all of my steps and hiking in during the mornings.  Julia and I always met back up for happy hour at the condo pool during the late afternoon.

A cold beer in the shade


Comments

Anonymous said…
WOW! That's a good-sized town!
John said…
The metro area is half a million in population. It looks big from Mirador!

Popular Posts