Google Tag Manager icon This isn't a fairy tale Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

This isn't a fairy tale

 

It's the first of several consecutive rainy days.  I walked to town with Callie and managed to get to the north end before sprinkles turned into a steady rain. We were both soggy by the time we got back home.  I tried to shake off the rain like Callie does, but with less success.  The house was warm from my early morning wood stove fire, so I settled in for a day of reading.

I have two online newspapers that I read every day:  the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and the New York Times.  I started reading the Milwaukee paper when I was in grade school and had my own paper route in middle school.  Delivery of the Milwaukee paper isn't available in my area. 

Newspapers are dying, and it makes me sad.  Reading a physical newspaper over morning coffee was a great personal pleasure for many years of my life.  The only physical paper available for delivery to me is the Wisconsin State Journal. Annual subscriptions are $268/year.  Over the years, its owners have shrunk the paper, the staff, and the news content, while growing profits.  

After reading the newspapers, I scan my newsfeed via Feedly.   I try to stay away from the news for the rest of the day. 

Most of the books that I read are fiction. I have about ten authors that I regularly follow.  These include C.J. Box, Steve Hamilton, Jonathan Kellerman, and Don Winslow.

I think I found another one to add to the list:  Noah Hawley, author of Anthem. I'm only about half-way through his recent book, but it's one of those rare books that has grabbed my attention.  He captures the conditions for the messed-up world that we live in perhaps better than anyone that I've previously read.  Here's an excerpt:

"...in the Age of Inverted Reality, the-stolen-cookie-that-was-never-stolen is now known as an alternative fact. Proof is irrelevant.  Reality has become a personal choice, denial of reality a weapon.  If a man gives a speech in the rain and later insists that the sun was shining the whole time, and if he then wages war against those who show him photos of the rain, calling them liars, branding them as evil, he is not lying so much as asserting power over truth itself."

The plot, involving a movement of thousands of teens committing suicide after the pandemic, is way out there.  Recommended.  There's a simple message on the back book cover:  "This isn't a fairy tale."



Comments

greg said…
Just prior to reading this post I was reading my current book and had just gotten to the part where the protagonist, a reporter, head editor, and chief bottle-washer of an upper Michigan small town newspaper was being told by a bean-counter from the parent company that his paper would be shut down after the next edition.

I read most my daily news on-line from sources like 1440 and Ground News, but I still subscribe to the twice-a-week print edition of our 80 year old, award-winning , and thankfully still independent and locally owned by journalists not money-grubbers, (the annual subscript is only $120) local paper.
John said…
We had an independent weekly that was over 100 years old. I was the education reporter when my kids were in school. That paper was sold to a regional newspaper holding company. Then they sold the newspaper building and started renting. Then they left the rented space. There's very little local content. I read it at the library every once in awhile to see if there's any coverage about candidates for local elections. They also send out free copies twice per year for subscription drives. It makes very good fire starter.

Popular Posts