Google Tag Manager icon Little Cabin on the Brule Skip to main content

Featured

Starkweather Beer Company

 When I moved back to Madison to attend law school in 1987, we moved to a crappy little apartment near the banks of Starkweather Creek on the unfashionable east side.  Today, the east side is booming, and one of the newer brewpubs is called Starkweather Beer Company. It was Saint Pat's Day.  While Guinness is a decent light-bodied stout, I opted for Starkweather's dry Irish Stout, named "Jamestown Jackdaw." Coming in at 5.9 ABV, it had a malty chewable backbone.  It's a new favorite stout for me.  Julia had Late Winter Haze, a New England IPA that didn't have as much fruitiness as she likes in a hazy.  It was still well-executed. We walked down the street to the Harmony Bar, where Julia enjoyed a complete corn beef and cabbage dinner.  I opted for the Reuben sandwich.  Mine was washed down with an Edmund Fitzgerald porter from Great Lakes Brewing.  Julia enjoyed her Chaos Pattern IPA from 3 Sheeps Brewing.  Both are great beers. Justin update:   After a long h

Little Cabin on the Brule

Last week, Julia, Callie and I jumped into Julia's car and  drove north for a three day getaway along the Wisconsin/Michigan border.  Our goal was to get deep into the north woods for hiking and snowshoeing.  On the way to our rented cabin along the Brule River, we stopped for a hike in the Northern Highland American Legion State Forest south-east of Woodruff, WI.

This is a popular area for snowshoeing, which meant that the Raven Trail was well-packed and easy to hike in just my trail shoes with micro spikes.  No snowshoes needed here.  

 

We hiked about 6 miles.  

The one-room cabin was located on the Brule River, which happens to be the border between Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  That blue sign to the right of the cabin is the "Welcome to Michigan sign.

The cabin was equipped with a small kitchen, so we brought all of our food with us.  That night, we dined on salad, lasagna, and a bottle of Chianti.  It was a perfect start to the trip.  On our next day we would get to snowshoe in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest.

Comments

Micro- spikes on your shoes? Never heard of 'em. I will do a search on them.
John said…
I've always worn Yaktrax on icy or hard-packed winter trails, but I broke a second set in four years during my first use this winter. My wife broke her Yaktrax during her first season and bought Kahtoola microspikes from REI, which have lasted several seasons.

The microspikes have a reputation for lasting longer and being easier to put on. The higher cost put me off, but Julia's have lasted, and they are easier to put on. I probably would have just bought another pair of Yaktrax, but the microspikes were a Christmas present. I'm a believer--so far. They slip on easily and pretty much let me hike as fast as I want with good control.
MFH said…
Have you ever been to Ontonagan or out the peninsula to Copper Harbor? Am curious about the water quality and what the "beaches" look like.
MFH said…
Reviews make this sounds like one for the summer: Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park.

Popular Posts