Google Tag Manager icon Dry Camping on the Blue Ridge Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Dry Camping on the Blue Ridge


After leaving Roan Mountain State Park, I drove to the Blue Ridge Parkway and camped at Julian Price campground.  For $20, you get a generous campsite with access to a modern bathroom (no shower), water, garbage, and a dump station.

Initially, I tried the C loop (no generator).  Unfortunately, that loop is tent only.  I thought maybe I could squeeze my little Brew Hut and truck into one of those sites, but it was a no go.  To me, it makes more sense to designate one of the rv loops for no generators since people with rvs are more likely to bring generators than people with tents.  But what do I know?

I talked to one of the camp hosts and told him that I really would like a site that won’t have generator noise or a bright streetlight.  He told me to go up high on loop F.  I drove past a guy on loop E who had one of the loudest generators I’ve ever heard.  But up on loop F, it was practically empty.  My nearest neighbor had solar panels out, which is always a good sign. 


Callie and I hiked around the Price Lake Loop on both days we stayed here.  We walked all of the campground loops and also did a good chunk of the Boone Fork Loop Trail.  The lake views were outstanding; Callie took several swimming opportunities; and the trails were well maintained and featured a canopy of shrubbery.


Best of all, the temperatures stayed cool at night, making for perfect sleeping weather with no artificial light or generators. We continue to make our way east.

Comments

Popular Posts