Google Tag Manager icon Water problem in the Brew Hut Skip to main content

Featured

Starkweather Beer Company

 When I moved back to Madison to attend law school in 1987, we moved to a crappy little apartment near the banks of Starkweather Creek on the unfashionable east side.  Today, the east side is booming, and one of the newer brewpubs is called Starkweather Beer Company. It was Saint Pat's Day.  While Guinness is a decent light-bodied stout, I opted for Starkweather's dry Irish Stout, named "Jamestown Jackdaw." Coming in at 5.9 ABV, it had a malty chewable backbone.  It's a new favorite stout for me.  Julia had Late Winter Haze, a New England IPA that didn't have as much fruitiness as she likes in a hazy.  It was still well-executed. We walked down the street to the Harmony Bar, where Julia enjoyed a complete corn beef and cabbage dinner.  I opted for the Reuben sandwich.  Mine was washed down with an Edmund Fitzgerald porter from Great Lakes Brewing.  Julia enjoyed her Chaos Pattern IPA from 3 Sheeps Brewing.  Both are great beers. Justin update:   After a long h

Water problem in the Brew Hut


I didn’t sleep all that great last night.  The winds were from the wrong direction and didn’t cool off the trailer much at all.  Finally giving up, I fed Elvis before sunrise and hiked the lake trail.  The mixture of clouds and blue sky produced a startling sunrise.

I used the water jug to fill my teapot and Elvis’ water bowl.  That was enough for breakfast’s needs:  coffee, oatmeal, dishes, brushing teeth.  Then I started getting the Brew Hut ready to hitch up and go.  One of the things I do is to empty the toilet and give it a good rinse by turning on the water pump.  When I flipped the switch, I heard the sound of silence.  Not good.  Back and forth with the switch.  Nothing.  I had a full water tank with no way to get the water to the sink, shower or toilet.  Bad.

Now the worst case scenario is running through my mind.  Was the water pump dead?  Would I have to return to Rapid City to get it diagnosed, fixed and/or replaced at an rv shop?  Muttering sweet nothings, I lifted up my eight inch memory foam mattress which covers the access door to the water pump.  Can’t see a thing.  Next, I put on my headlamp and stuck my head in further, lifting the wires gently to see what was going on.

One of the electrical connectors to the water pump had apparently vibrated out.  Using my immense mechanical/electrical skills (not), I stuck it back into the slot.  Tuned on the switch.  The pump was working again.  Blood pressure returned to normal.

After I finished hitching up, I drove to Spearfish, South Dakota, intending to stay at the City Campground. Reports on the Campendium website indicated that rates were as low as $10/night off-season.  I guess it’s not off-season yet because the campground was nearly full. The attendant quoted rates of $45 for a narrow RV slot with hookups or dry camping in the primitive area without any hookups for $30/night.  I said no thanks and drove to Wyatt’s Hideaway at Belle Fourche just up the road.

With my Passport America discount card, the rate was half-price and $25/one night, electricity, wifi (serviceable), hot showers, laundry, dump station and fresh water.  Although I’m sure it’s packed during Sturgis Week, there’s hardly anyone here now.  A swift running river runs along the back of the campground and a busy road in front.  Not a nature experience, but I will get my errands done, resupply with groceries and be ready to head out in the morning to Wyoming.

Comments

Popular Posts