Google Tag Manager icon Rock Springs Walmart Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Rock Springs Walmart


When I hitched up at Flaming Gorge to leave, I received a “low tire air” warning light. Sure enough, my rear driver’s side tire was down 20 percent. This was a good opportunity to use my portable air compressor for the first time. Actually, a better opportunity would have been to use it before leaving Wisconsin so that I knew how it worked.


Anyway, after a few struggles and tries, I figured out that the compressor’s tire fitting was threaded, which once screwed on to the tire valve, actually allowed air to enter the low tire. Once that was completed, I drove to the Walmart in Rock Springs to resupply and see if the tire air was holding. I suspected a slow leak. That same tire had been repaired about six months ago for a nail hole.

Now my wife and I have never been very big supporters of Walmart, which has driven many small independent businesses out of business. One nice thing that Walmart does do (sometimes) is to let recreational vehicle users stay overnight. Walmart figures they will spend some money resupplying, and it’s a cheap overnight for people on the road. Many Walmarts, in response to pressure from private campgrounds and local city councils , have stopped offering the service as ordinances are passed prohibiting overnight stays in parking lots.

Some of this is understandable, as there are always people who take advantage of the situation: staying for weeks, taking prime parking spots, leaving trash and worse behind, and generally treating the parking lot as their personal free campsite instead of just an overnight sleepover.

Thankfully, the Walmart in Rocks Springs, Wyoming, still allows overnight stays. When I asked for permission, the manager, seeing my shopping cart full of provisions, told me that it was ok to stay overnight but to park in the back of the parking lot (which I had already done). Knowing that I was going to Utah (where watered down beer happens), I stocked on beer, food, toiletries, and miscella-neous items (including ice cream). I took Elvis on long walks to make up for leaving him alone while I shopped, read, caught up on email and the blogs, and generally relaxed. That was the good part.

The bad part is personal to me. I need darkness to sleep. The security lights at Walmart make it seem like broad daylight at 3 am. I slept quite poorly. I know that I should have black-out curtains or an eye mask or something, but I think that I will make my overnight trips to Walmart infrequent. In the morning, I was glad to see that the tire was holding it’s pressure at 35 psi. I also checked the trailer tires which also were holding pressure. All good for the next adventure. To Salt Lake and beyond!



Comments

Popular Posts