Google Tag Manager icon Mikesell-Potts Recreatiion Area Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Mikesell-Potts Recreatiion Area


On the evening of my stay at Devil’s campground, the Scamp reached temperatures of 96 F., before dropping into the 50’s during the night. I went from sweating in my underwear to retrieving the heavy sleeping bag and crawling under its warmth.

I was up early at Elvis’ request (food and walk), so we took advantage of the empty road at 6 a.m., and hiked out to the admission booth and beyond to the KOA, where campers were packed in like sardines but presumably enjoying their full electrical hookups (air conditioning). After hiking back, I ate a quick breakfast and made coffee for the road. Because I never unhitched the Scamp at Devil’s Tower, departure was a matter of pulling up the rear stabilizers, preparing the inside of the Scamp for the shaking and vibration that occurs in a day of travel, and plugging in the tow wires.

Elvis and I drove out to Interstate 90 and then on to Buffalo, Wyoming, where we took the exit for the Mikesell-Potts Recreation Area, a county park located on a big lake. Two separate campground loops include spaces on the lake, tucked into the trees or up on top of a big hill (which is the one that I chose.




The camp host told me that the campground gets very busy in the summer, but once school starts, it’s easy to find a space—first come, first serve. I had my pick of over 100 spots, and I think that I chose wisely. There is no water here. About ten sites have electric ($15), but those sites are close together and without the prime views. The rest of the sites have no amenities other than vault toilets and garbage dumpsters. I think it’s quite a bargain. Elvis and I have been taking lots of walks along the various campground roads and a grass path connecting the two loops.

T-mobile doesn’t live here. I had reasonably fast ATT roaming until T-mobile sent a text that my limited roaming plan was exhausted. We are at 4600 feet, have the lake on one side and the Big Horn Mountains off to the distance in the other side. Temperatures have been pleasant during the day and cool off into the 40’s and 50’s at night . On the coolest night, I closed up the windows, except for a crack, and slept comfortably under the sleeping bag. Our brews of choice have been Brazilian manual drip in the morning and Hot Streak IPA in the evening by Black Tooth Brewing out of Sheridan, Wyoming.

On my second night, I was awakened after dark by a party setting up camp at the campsite next door. And I do mean a party. There were 3-4 pick-up trucks and a couple of cars full of young folk, drinking cheap, making lots of noise, and depositing cans, trash and uprooting a small tree, presumably to burn for firewood. They left in a thunder of gravel/dust at about 2:25 a.m., doing a U-turn at my site. When I got up early the next morning, I found a soiled towel next to my truck.


Life is too short. I picked up camp and moved across the lake, where I found a nice spot next to the beach for my last night.


I spent three nights here and would stay here again, especially during the off season. The party crew? Well, that’s just luck of the draw. Hopefully, I won’t encounter that again soon. From here, we are headed for the Big Horns.

Comments

Popular Posts