Google Tag Manager icon Flaming Gorge, Days One and Two Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Flaming Gorge, Days One and Two


After breaking camp above Green River, Elvis and I backtracked to Rock Springs to post blogs, download newspapers and podcasts, and gas up. Then we drove south of Interstate 80 to the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area.



The campgrounds in this area are quite popular and subject to reservation. I was a little bit worried that the campgrounds would be full, but I had a boondocking back-up plan. Upon arriving at Firehole Campground, I knew right away my my concern was misplaced. Not only was the campground empty of campers, it was closed for the season and gated. Hmmmm.

Time for the back-up plan. There were forest dirt/gravel roads all around the campground, and someone on the Campendium website mentioned camping without any problems at the beach close to the campground. The beach had several attributes, including beautiful views, potential swimming opportunities, and pit toilets.

The beach also had several downsides. Many of the “camping spots” were on soft, sandy ground. Getting stuck would not have been fun. The ground was sloping, and the best solid spot that I could find was not very level. I decided to make the best of it and set up camp anyway. Elvis and I hiked up and down the beach and across many of the gravel roads between the beach and the campground. In the process, I found a couple of other spots that seemed to work also. I noticed that the original beach area was extremely windy with blowing sand. In the afternoon, the trailer was already rocking and rolling, promising an interesting night.

So I bailed on the original site, prepared the Brew Hut for travel again, and moved about a half mile down a narrow, rutted road to a large turn-around circle that was gravel and appeared to be used as a campsite previously (evidence of bonfires). This was much better. Less windy, I had the Brew Hut situated so that the door was on the opposite of the direction of the wind, so that it was comfortable to sit outside and read.

I had already decided that it was going to be hamburger night, so the patties were sitting out to defrost by the sink. As I prepared dinner, I noticed that the temperature of the fridge was rising. Now I’ve had problems in the past regulating the temperature of the fridge, but it was always on the cold side, freezing food that shouldn’t be frozen. Hmmm. A half hour later, the temperature was 45, and I knew that something was wrong. Apparently, the gale-force wind had blown out the propane flame that keeps the fridge cold. At least, that was my first theory.

I followed the procedure for relighting the fridge. That process is not user-friendly. There is a tiny hole at the bottom of the fridge which is supposed to tell you if the flame is lit or not. The only problem is that flame is impossible to see during the daylight, leaving two options. The first option is to wait until it’s dark. The second option is to check a metal tube in the outside compartment to see if it’s getting hot. Either option takes time, and I was impatient to find out whether the fridge flame was out or if it was just dead. Fortunately, after about 30 minutes, the metal tube was warming up. I dialed down the fridge to colder. In the morning, it was back to normal, freezing food that it shouldn’t. I dialed the fridge back to low.

There is only one other camper within sight, and he's about half mile away. Temperatures fall into the mid 30’s at night and climb up into the 70’s during the day. Mornings are less windy, and the ample sun allows me to charge up all of my devices and top off the battery. Unless weekend partiers arrive, this spot seems like a great place to spend a few days.

The header shows a herd of pronghorn, I believe. They are frequent visitors to the nearby water but are very skittish. Unlike deer in Wisconsin, they stay tightly packed together and move as one when running. We’ve also seen lots of rabbits, birds and snake skins (but no snakes yet). The closed campground is accessible by trail. The water spigots have been turned off, but the convenient dumpsters remain. A sign indicates that the campground closed on September 15th. I’ve not smelled any smoke here. The air is clear and clean.





That’s all the news at Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area…


Comments

Popular Posts