Google Tag Manager icon Preparation and Planning Skip to main content

Featured

Starkweather Beer Company

 When I moved back to Madison to attend law school in 1987, we moved to a crappy little apartment near the banks of Starkweather Creek on the unfashionable east side.  Today, the east side is booming, and one of the newer brewpubs is called Starkweather Beer Company. It was Saint Pat's Day.  While Guinness is a decent light-bodied stout, I opted for Starkweather's dry Irish Stout, named "Jamestown Jackdaw." Coming in at 5.9 ABV, it had a malty chewable backbone.  It's a new favorite stout for me.  Julia had Late Winter Haze, a New England IPA that didn't have as much fruitiness as she likes in a hazy.  It was still well-executed. We walked down the street to the Harmony Bar, where Julia enjoyed a complete corn beef and cabbage dinner.  I opted for the Reuben sandwich.  Mine was washed down with an Edmund Fitzgerald porter from Great Lakes Brewing.  Julia enjoyed her Chaos Pattern IPA from 3 Sheeps Brewing.  Both are great beers. Justin update:   After a long h

Preparation and Planning



“Plans made in Jello.”  That’s a full-time nomad’s cliché with meanings at multiple levels.  I remember a minister with a similar sermon:  “Man plans, and God laughs.” Things outside our control often influence the best laid plans.


That’s tough for me, as someone with plans, back-up plans, and back-up to back-up plans. My mentor at the law firm liked to tell me in relationship to the practice of law:  Worry about the things that you can control; let go of the things you can’t control, and practice the skill of learning the difference between the two.  I’ve always been one to try to push more into that first category than most people would do.  Planning and organization do tend to increase the limited ability to control variables.

With that in mind, and two weeks before my scheduled departure out west, I’ve been tightening up the specifics of the plan.  As a general plan, I’m going to drive to the South Dakota Badlands, dry-camp without electrical hookups for awhile at a well-reviewed location, and then make my way over to the Black Hills and Spearfish, where I’ll camp for another week.  I have a few possible locations in mind–mostly dry camping.

From there, my plans are highly variable on the weather.  I’d like to spend some time in the Big Horn mountains of Wyoming and meander across Wyoming to northern Utah. The latter part of September can bring snow and freezing temperatures at higher elevations, so I might have to head lower and south before too long. I will play it by ear, but I need to be in Las Vegas in mid-October to pick up Julia for her portion of the trip.

In preparation, I’ve ordered Benchmark maps for the states I’ve mentioned above, and I’ve been researching google maps, campendium, freecampsites.net, public lands maps, and reviews of different places to camp, hike, and drive.

I bought a small inverter to charge my laptop and other small electronic devices not powered by 12 volts.  It has enough capacity to run the small tv also in case the world suddenly changes, and I need to watch the news or something.  My friend Dean showed me how to repack the wheel bearings with grease on the Brew Hut, so that needed task has been checked off the list. He also checked the brakes for me, which provides peace of mind.  I still need to organize space in the Nissan truck and Brew Hut. Packing clothes and planning food provisioning is also still ahead.

Justin has decided not to bring Elvis the service dog to college, which is probably for the best for now. Although having a service dog at college sounds good in theory, Justin and his caregivers have enough to do without worrying about feeding, watering, and toileting Elvis.  Those tasks are mine at home but would need to be performed by someone other than Justin at school.  Justin’s caregiving hours are limited,  Also, because we live in the country, Elvis has developed a bad habit of barking (for a service dog, not a watch dog) when there are strange noises or strangers (rare).  In a dorm setting, that is a common occurrence and a potential behavior problem.  Julia has asked me to take Elvis along, so that Elvis is not alone in the house all day while she is at work.

Taking Elvis on the trip west has pros and cons, but he is good company so we will make it work.  I know that he would rather be on an adventure rather than left at home. We both have worked hard during the last six years, so it’s only fair that Elvis is rewarded also for his own gray hairs. When we return home before Thanksgiving Break and then during semester break, we will both be put back to work for Justin.

Comments

Popular Posts