Google Tag Manager icon Homer: Fishing and Beer Skip to main content

Featured

April Update

  It's been awhile since I've posted.  Justin's situation is hard to write about, but I know there are people who want to know what's going on with Justin, my son.  In truth, he is getting sicker and weaker.  For awhile,he made great progress, talking, eating, and getting back into his power wheelchair.   Then he started getting weaker.  His left lung became covered with secretions, and he needed surgery to scrape things out. Then a CT scan revealed more new spine fractures (total of 7).  After that, he just hasn't been able to get over the hump.  This week, Justin decided to discontinue the weaning from the ventilator.  He is on full breath support and can no longer use the voice valve to talk without dangerous oxygen drops.  Pain medication has been significantly increased to help him deal with the pain. It's a tough thing for a 23-year-old to confront one's mortality.  We will continue this journey with Justin to the end to the best of our abilities.  We

Homer: Fishing and Beer


There are numerous signs displayed around Homer, Alaska that say, “Homer: a quaint little drinking village with a fishing problem.”  Although I am not a fisherman, I can verify that fishing is taken very seriously here.




As for the drinking part, I can only testify that the local beer culture is alive and well. We visited two microbreweries:  Grace Ridge Brewing and Homer Brewing. Both were outstanding. Grace is owned by a San Diego couple who moved to Homer for employment. Upon retirement, they started a brewery (I am grateful, but that isn’t my idea of retirement).

Julia drank an IPA, and I had a delicious sour that was not overdone. Just enough sour to make it interesting.

On another day, we visited Homer Brewery. Julia had a Red Scotch Ale which was not too strong, and I went for the King and Wing ESB, cask conditioned and served by the beer engine. Easily in the top three beers I’ve  had in Alaska.





Comments

Popular Posts