Google Tag Manager icon Choosing the Path Less Traveled Skip to main content

Featured

Starkweather Beer Company

 When I moved back to Madison to attend law school in 1987, we moved to a crappy little apartment near the banks of Starkweather Creek on the unfashionable east side.  Today, the east side is booming, and one of the newer brewpubs is called Starkweather Beer Company. It was Saint Pat's Day.  While Guinness is a decent light-bodied stout, I opted for Starkweather's dry Irish Stout, named "Jamestown Jackdaw." Coming in at 5.9 ABV, it had a malty chewable backbone.  It's a new favorite stout for me.  Julia had Late Winter Haze, a New England IPA that didn't have as much fruitiness as she likes in a hazy.  It was still well-executed. We walked down the street to the Harmony Bar, where Julia enjoyed a complete corn beef and cabbage dinner.  I opted for the Reuben sandwich.  Mine was washed down with an Edmund Fitzgerald porter from Great Lakes Brewing.  Julia enjoyed her Chaos Pattern IPA from 3 Sheeps Brewing.  Both are great beers. Justin update:   After a long h

Choosing the Path Less Traveled






February weather in Wisconsin doesn’t get any better than this.  Temperatures in the mid 50’s F.  Blue sky and sun.  Should I go for a hike today or get back to my wood splitting pile?  As I was contemplating  plans for the day, my wife Julia told me to look out the window to see the latest development.


.Someone’s gray SUV got lost in the dark last night and plunged into the gully in front of my house. Even more interesting, the vehicle was running and still in drive–the front wheels spinning deeper and deeper into the mud without going anywhere.  Finally, someone was still behind the steering wheel, slumped over and sleeping.  This is not something that I see everyday in my quiet little part of Wisconsin (see normal first photo).

I called local law enforcement, who arrived a short time later.  The driver was awakened and asked to put the vehicle in park.  Details of the how and why were relayed to me, but I will refrain from full disclosure to protect the embarrassed.  No one was injured. Being Wisconsin, alcohol was involved.



Comments

Popular Posts